Monday, January 7, 2013

Summer in the South: Part one

Let me paint you a written picture of the Marlborough region at the top of the South Island...
3 hours from Wellington on the Interislander Ferry, it's a haven that feels so isolated yet so close to home. If you're blessed with a smooth sailing, you can stand outside on the deck and take in the Queen Charlotte Sounds, with it's lush forest, hidden coves and scattered houses which the owners can only get to by boat.
In the distance you see the tiny little town of Picton, "the gateway to the South Island." This is where the ferry stops. It's a quaint little village surrounded by hills, with a view all the way out to the sea you've just traveled over. 

New Zealanders know we live in a beautiful country, but sometimes we need reminding. I took so many pictures on my whirlwind trip so I'm doing this post in three parts. I'm making the pictures extra big because it's beauty on a grand scale and I want you to feel like you're there.

Come with me on my 24 hour trip through the top of the South Island, starting with my views from the ferry heading to Picton...








I love Marlborough this much.

Stay tuned for part two!

Lola K xx

4 comments:

  1. Gosh I love all these photos! Can't stop looking at them. Makes me all warm and fuzzy and super proud to call this place home. Amazing job Lola K xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! I wish they did it more justice! Think I need a wide screen lens or something. xx

      Delete