Sunday, November 18, 2012

War is not cool, folks

Well, today I went with my mum up to Waiouru to the army museum. We've both been wanting to do this trip since my mum found out about an ancestor of ours, Thomas Cooke who fought in WWI at Pozieres in France and was killed in action. After he died he was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest military medal for bravery in the face of the enemy. His medals are on display at this museum, so we thought we'd go and see.

When you drive through NZ, this is mostly what you see...
 
...And almost every tiny little town you drive through has
at least one cutie old church masquerading as a craft shop/cafe.
I love the architecture and history of churches!
 
"Do what makes you happy" and raindrops on the windscreen
 
A list of conflicts that the NZ defence forces have
been involved in
 
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
we will remember them"
 
"I do hope and trust my son will come home again."
He never did.
 
Thomas Cooke stood in a trench like this one using
a gun like the one on top of the trench (left) and was
the last man standing in the face of enemy fire.
81 of his friends were killed and lying at his feet.
Eventually he was killed too.
 
Faith
 
 The blurb about my homeboy
 
And his medals (L-R: the Victoria Cross, British War Medal,
and the Victory Award)
 
Yay nurses!
 
 
Number 7 on my list: Visit Waiouru and go to the army museum...Tick!
 
Lola K xx
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment