Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What's Cooking...

In case you weren't already aware, eating is quite an important thing if you intend to carry on living. Unfortunately my trip to Sydney has left me skint so I've been making some meals on a budget. I appreciate super quick meals because my attention span is short and I feel like I'm missing out if I spend too long in the kitchen. Last night my super speedy budget meal was vegetable fried rice and Eaton Mess for dessert. Deelish. Allow me to share :)

 
What you need:
  •  Microwave long grain rice
  • Frozen vegetables (go for ones with baby corn and snow peas - yum!)
  • 1 egg
  • Soy sauce
  • Teriyaki sauce (the sauces are the most expensive ingredients but once you've got them they'll last for ages)
 
Microwave the rice as per the instructions on the packet and give the egg a quick whisk and chuck it in a frying pan. It only takes about 1 minute to fry - break it up in bits, put it in a bowl with the rice and put it aside. Put the vegetables in the frying pan and cook for about 4 minutes. Add the rice, egg and the sauces (I always eyeball it but if I had to take a guess I'd say about a tablespoon of each). Cook for a couple more minutes, until everything is combined and heated through. Et voila!
 
 
Plugging NZ wines...
 
 
What you need for dessert:
  • Cream (thickened cream is easier but I only had the runny stuff which I had to whip)
  • Strawberries
  • About 5 meringues


 
 
Cut up the strawberries, whip the cream (if you're not using thickened) and smash the meringues. Whack it all in a bowl and mix it together! So delicious. So easy. So bad for the hips.
 
 
Crumble some meringue on top and serve with a cup of coffee.
 
Lola K xx




No comments:

Post a Comment